Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My 15 minutes...or 6 and a half!




After much deliberation, seeking advise from friends, fasting, praying, meditating and ultimately finding my inner peace or should I say outer peace, I have decided to post this video/audio track.

I had the opportunity last Friday to be interviewed by AJ Maguire who is a DJ at 100.5 the Wolf in Missouri. Kristy with "Checking in with Kristy" was kind enough to feature me on her blog as a Fit Success. You can find that at: http://www.fitfriday.blogspot.com/. That morning her husband AJ played the interview on air. I thought it would make a perfect blog post until he asked me straight out my current weight. I seriously was so torn about whether to post it or not. I asked friends and families advise and got a kick in the rear from a few. I had to really dig deep to be okay with it. I think that through the years I have had a distorted view of myself, a view that many women have. It is still hard for me to put myself out there completely when it comes to the weight. I think that is why, unlike many who blog their weight loss journey's, I never actually put my #'s out there for the whole world to see.

I was watching late night t.v. one night awhile back and came across a show on Lifetime. It is called, "How to Look Good Naked". I am not a watcher, but was drawn in at this segment about a girl who had a distorted view of herself. Actually, that is the premise of the show, to help woman overlook their physical insecurities. In this particular segment they placed 6-8 women of varying body types in a line up and the girl was to place herself where she thought she fit in. She placed herself as the 3rd to the largest, ultimately adding about 6" to her hips. She actually fit in as 3rd to the smallest. It was then that I had a moment. I think that most women do this exact same thing. They don't give themselves credit, they don't look at the positives about their bodies and that leads to a big distorted view of themselves. They see these fashion models and feel they need to measure up to them. In actuality, fashion models are thinner than 98% of American women. Did you know that the average American woman is a Size 14?

I always felt I needed to fit into a certain "chart" area and felt like a failure when I didn't. It was the same thing when I had to share my weight last week. I was okay with letting
everyone and their brother in Missouri know, but to put it out there for friends and family was numbing. As I thought this through, I came to the conclusion that it was down right silly to stress about "the number" especially after all my successes this year. I shouldn't be ashamed, I should celebrate it!

So, to all
you women reading this, feel good about yourself, look at all your positives and stop having a distorted view of yourselves.

Now, I am going to go curl up in the corner in fetal position....j/k!

8 comments:

nicole said...

Erin,
This interview was fabulous! You are so brave to have done this. You are such an inspiration to a lot of people. You remind me of that little train that could!

*K*R*I*S*T*Y* said...

First of all I want to apologize for my BLUNT husband.This is what I live with everyday.His intentions are great but he is still a man :) I remember one time early in our marriage he says "I wish I had your thighs".....but I love everything you said.That number that a dumb little scale spits out is nothing compared to the success you've proven.But I know EXACTLY how you feel when you get certain feelings engrained in your mind about yourself, what you think you SHOULD look like, how you should feel, a number you should reach, how you see yourself in the mirror no matter what size you are etc. and that is something no gym time can ever fix.I still subconsciously want to get defensive when people use the word thin or fit with me like I don't deserve to be called it.It's an everyday battle to fight for your self worth and I think what you are doing is so great and helping more than you know along the way.But most importantly you are helping yourself by opening up your situation to others.I'm so glad Ang put us in touch with eachother.

*DeMeLo HaPpEnInGs* said...

I ma so proud of you. And as far as the number BE PROUD!!!! You did an amzaing job and i love that show, how to look good naked. Even as chubby as I am I try to look in the mirror ans tell myself I love my body regardless. You aer beautiful and you look amazing.

Katie said...

Love this post! You are awesome!! It was fun to hear your interview. You did a great job :)

Mandy said...

Ok I LOVE this interview! Wow you are great! Your weight isn't even high. It's perfect. It was so great to hear this. I loved it! Thanks for posting and sharing with all us!

Jacey said...

Truly amazing! You are at a GREAT weight! Don't be ashamed...live it up! I should post something on the fit friday blog about my sister-in-law...she'd probably shoot me but it's an amazing story to share with others and help motivate them (especially moms). She's lost 125+ in 13 months.

WAY TO GO ERIN, you DESERVE that 6 minutes of FAME!! :-)

Lindsey Springfield said...

way cool you were on the radio. you can listen to that anytime to remind yourself how far you have come! congrats!

*Amy * said...

Thanks for posting this. You are so inspiring. I am on the weight-loss train myself and sometimes I like to check your blog for advice. I have had some success this far and it is so cool to see someone else have such tremendous results and such great will-power. Thanks for posting this blog and doing that interview! Good for you!