Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Weight Update and Tip of the Week

I have been asked several times if I am going to do weekly weigh ins again. The weekly check really helped me as I worked off the pounds this past year. It has been a little strange not being accountable to anyone but myself these days. I am finding that I let myself go and that it easy to splurge when I do not have "you" to check in with. So I have decided to weigh in on occasion. I figured I wouldn't torture you with weekly weigh ins, so as I check in at the scale, I will place (the good, bad and ugly) on the sidebar to help me reach my goal. I am going to try and get down 15 more pounds if my body allows. If it doesn't, I will reaccess and go from there.

I am a health food/health tip junkie. I can't get enough of it. Any info that can educate or help me along, I am all over it. I thought on Wednesdays I would post a little Tip of the Week that I have come across. Whether it is a food, a cool work out, article about health, etc. I will post a tid bit here if you are interested or need a little inspiration, so check back if you are.


{TIP of the WEEK}

* A [good long-term goal] is 200 to 300 minutes of cardio each week. Another goal is aiming for approximately 300 to 500 calories per day burned through exercise. Sound a bit too much and you are just starting out? Start with 10-15 minutes and work yourself up.

*You can also break up your workouts, and they will still be just as effective for calorie burning. Three workouts of 10 minutes each day has been shown to be just as effective as 30 straight minutes if both are done at the same pace. And, if you [make your schedule work for you] , you increase the probability of being able to stick with your exercise long-term.

* [Push yourself to the limits]. Those "painful, grueling, out of breathe, think your going to die" workouts are what you are aiming for. It is mind over matter and you just have to push through it. It is in those moments that change happens!

5 comments:

kh said...

Good for you Erin. We can motivate each other. (Heaven knows I really need some!) 15 lbs is a great goal!!!

Reagan has stolen my heart. That little thang is just to die for!

What fabric softener do you use? Your "hand-me-downs" smelt SO good. Thanks, Kaari can wear them now!

Hiatt Family said...

I'm excited to read your tips of the week! I'm really trying to get back into that "healthy" state of mind. Unfortunately, I think about desserts all the time! Ugh! I'm always looking for little tips to help me along...so thank you!!!
P.S.-I would love to know what healthy, yummy snacks you have found!

Katie said...

Way to go Erin! You always give great tips and advice. I need to start doing something for my body. I am so ready to feel healthy and strong again. This sluggish stage is so not fun!

Lindsey Springfield said...

I look forward to your tips! i love researching \ reading on health \ nutrition \ working out! by the way - my mom wants to know how you did it. you'll have to give her your secret! your an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

What! Only 200-300 minutes. I am going to tell my trainer that he is working me too hard. ha ha I feel exactly like you said..."going to die" workouts. Like today. I almost broke down in tears again. Billy said he knew he was pushing too hard today, so instead of 60 pull-ups and sit-ups he would have me to do just 40. SO nice of him. i thought I was going to pop a vessel in my brain!

P.S. Where are you going to lose another 15 lbs? You look good.

Love, Beth