Monday, January 26, 2009

i {heart} my home

When we were looking for our first home and out with our realtor, it seemed like we had looked at what seemed to be a gazillion homes. After each house, we met back out at the car to chat with the realtor about our likes and dislikes. Ryan and I could not find one we agreed on. After checking one out and meeting back for yet another pow wow, I instantly said "No way!" and Ryan instantly said, "This is exactly what we are looking for!" He had to do so much convincing to get me to agree. I was just not feeling or seeing what he was. The house needed so much work. Ryan had the vision and I was blinded by the ugly. We bought the house with the promise that it would change. Ryan started renovating bits at a time. He made what to me was a big heap of poo into a beautiful little starter home. We lived in that home for a few years and decided to move on to a bigger home to fit our growing family better. The hunt was on again. This time with a lot more faith in my husband's abilities.

I drove around looking at houses for months and passed by this one a couple of times and didn't even consider it. It had pink peeling paint with brown trim and the landscaping was trashed. After a drive by with Ryan he wanted to see inside. He liked the size of the lot and he had that ability to look past the outside. I would like to say he looks at the beauty inside but this one was in need of so much work, there really wasn't
much beauty to look at. As we walked through, he instanty started saying what he wanted to do to the house (add some walls/knock some out, etc.) . Not too long after that the house was ours and Ryan started demo the day we got the keys. The kitchen cabinets were out that evening. We lived with his parents for a month or so while the fence went up around the pool and the kitchen was done.

We have been here 7 years in April. I love living here. There is still a lot to do. Comes with home ownership. You get stuff done and by the time you get to everything, you are wanting to change what you already have done. I can't count how many other things I would like to still do or redo to this house, but there are also countless things we have already done in
the time we have been here too. Ryan is so talented and I am blessed to have a HANDY MAN!! He helps make our house a home, a place were we are comfortable and happy. What a lucky girl I am to have a husband who can see the potential in things. Here are a few pictures that I have been promising to post forever. I will try to do better at posting as change happens!

{Outside view} BEFORE


{ Outside view} AFTER



{Family Room} BEFORE

{Family Room} AFTER



{Fireplace} BEFORE

{Fireplace}AFTER
Moved fireplace and put up stone surround

{Dining Room into the kitchen}BEFORE

{Dining Room into the Kitchen}AFTER
Storage cabinets to right, walk in pantry and now a office

{Kitchen view}BEFORE

{Kitchen view}AFTER
New everything in kitchen. We gutted it!

{Kitchen View}BEFORE


{Kitchen view} AFTER

{Hall Bathroom}BEFORE
{Hall Bathroom}AFTER
New shower surround, fixtures, tile and counterops

{Master Bathroom} BEFORE

{Master Bathroom}AFTER
Moved toilet and shower to different locations, tiled and new fixtures.
Also, enclosed door into the closet to have entry in from bedroom and not bathroom (not shown)

{Master bathroom}BEFORE

{Master Bathroom}AFTER
Removed carpet and step. Tiled, new granite countertops and sinks

I {heart} my HOME!

11 comments:

kh said...

Did the little girl (in all the photos) come with the house? I can see why you bought it, she's a keeper! :0)

*DeMeLo HaPpEnInGs* said...

Beautiful home Erin! Great husband for seeing that vision and then actually doing it!!

Lisa said...

Now its time to move!!! haha. As I was reading this post Trent was reading it with me and had to comment on how you failed to mention his handy work in both your houses. Men!!! What will we do with them? I like the new addition of the wood floor. Lookin good!

Hiatt Family said...

It is beautiful! I loved working on projects with my hubby when we first bought our townhouse. I love making the space ours and adding those personal touches. It makes it feel ever more like home.

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

Okay Trent! You did help with tiling when we first moved in. Better give you your props. Ironically that is one of the things I want to change. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Love the house Erin. You should put these on rate my space. We have some more to do to ours. We had allot also to do when we bought ours. It is a never ending project. Good luck with what ever else you are going to be doing.

Katie said...

That was really fun to see the before shots! You guys have done a great job with your house!!

nicole said...

I love your home too! You and Ryan have done an amazing job! What a difference there is in the before and after pics....you really saved that home! Hugo would love to buy a home in your neighboorhood and do exactly what you guys have done....but I feel the way you did. I always see the ugly and can't picture the end product. Your home is beautiful! (and the spirit of the family that lives there helps with that!)

Mandy said...

Wow you guys have done so much! I really love it!

Missy said...

Hi, Erin! I would love for you to keep up with me. It looks like we have been doing a little of the same thing this past year!! I still have 20 lbs to go and it seems like it will NOT come off. I guess we can root each other on!

I 'heart' your home, too! :o)

Suz said...

How would it be to live with the designer of dreams and the ever tallented Mr. Woods? This is spectacular! You seriously are incredible!