Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year {NEW ME!}

It's that time of year again, the time we all reflect on our goals for the coming year. When the majority of us resolve to finally take control and shed those 10, 20, or 30+ pounds. If, year after year, you promise to better your health and lose that weight, but it falls by the wayside, make this your year! Stop making excuses and just do it!! Exercise makes you sharper, happier, and healthier.

Do you know how many times that I told myself tomorrow is the day I will start and tomorrow came and was gone, but the fat was still hangin' around? There were too many tomorrows that lead to too many regrets. So, for all of you who are contemplating this for the coming year....DO IT! Today, now and DON'T QUIT! It is a long and sometimes frustrating process, but worth every bit of effort. I think for me, it was time for some "me" time. I had to make time for myself. It was time for no more excuses and for me to take control! I made myself this way and it was up to me to change it, to feel better about myself and to be a better Mom for my kids and wife for my husband. I wanted to be healthy for them and I wanted to feel comfortable in my skin because for the longest time I hadn't.

A year ago today I began a journey, that to be very honest, I thought was the impossible. I, year after year made the resolution to get myself in shape and drop the weight. Like I said at the beginning of all of this, there was never a day that passed that I did not think about it in some way, shape or form. I suppose that has not completely changed other than the fact that I think of it in a whole new light. Before it was such a literal "load" that I was carrying. I resolved to make 2008 MY year and I feel I did!

I wanted so badly to achieve my goal of a 70 pound loss this year and I did, almost two weeks ago. Then my "bloat" week turned into 10 days of bloatiness (a word?-I don't know) and Christmas rolled around with food and treats galore and then yesterday I ate terrible and sat in the truck for 14 hours as we traveled to and from El Paso. So, what I am getting at is my weigh in this morning was not exactly what I really wanted as an end result, but I am thrilled to say that I have lost....

68 pounds in 2008!


I have been told that I look like a different person. I know I feel like one. I look back at pictures and I really can't believe it and since I avoided the camera like the plague there are very few pictures of me. Here are a couple I could find and some after shots:

Family pictures December 2004
(Not a clue what my weight was, but holy double chin!)

Birth of Reagan Reese on 02/02/06
(Now, 110 pounds lighter! It is no wonder that I was completely miserable!)

Beginning of February 2008 (at a 10 pound loss)

BEFORE


AFTER


Trying on my "before" jeans




I am down 5 sizes! I had to resize my ring a complete size smaller and I wear 1/2 size smaller in shoes. It was too cool to get my Good Housekeeping magazine in the mail about people who dropped 5 sizes and think that I could be in there.



Trying on my fat jeans was a surreal moment. I always knew I was big, but when I put on those jeans I could not believe that I actually fit into those at one time. That was THE moment that made this all so worthwhile.


Christmas was pure torture on me! The treats darn near killed me. Check out this fun apron that my friend Marla made me. She said she couldn't bring me treats this year for Christmas.

And...what makeover would be complete without a cut and color!
I took the plunge and whacked my frumpy hair!


I still would like to loose a bit more weight. I do not know if I should fore go the weigh ins from now on or not. Accountability has been key. Knowing I needed to weigh in every week kept me in check and I worry that I will not have that anymore. Maybe I will set a new goal and check in occasionally. Any thoughts?

Thank you everyone for cheering me on through all of this. Your sweet comments and compliments helped me more than you know.

TO EVERYONE,
HERE IS TO A {HAPPY} AND {HEALTHY} NEW YEAR!

13 comments:

*DeMeLo HaPpEnInGs* said...

Oh my gosh Erin..you look absolutely fantastic, beautiful, gorgeous, oh my gosh. Yes like a different person. LOVE LOVE LOVE the hair, the outfit. You seriously are breathtaking! Congrats on your weightloss...i am proud of you. I can not even think that it was slightly easy. You are an inspiration to many! Happy New year to you!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG Erin you look amazing. I am so happy for you. Love the new hair. It looks great. You are a amazing person. I don't think I could ever do that. I am going to do the hair cut here soon. Best of luck in the New Year.

Janet said...

Erin,
You are amazing. I love your hair and you are way cuter than Michelle. Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family.

Katie said...

Congratulations Erin! You have done an amazing job and you really do look FANTASTIC!! I love the way you SMILE so much more and how far you have come. You are truly an example and inspiration to us all!
Hope you had fun in El Paso :)
Happy New Year!!

kh said...

And here I went and brought you Christmas goodies... I should have been shot!

Happy New Year Erin! 68 pounds is good news!

Mandy said...

Erin you look amazing! WOW! You motivate me so much! I've been telling people that if Erin Woods can lose 68 pounds, I can do whatever it is I want to do. So amazing you are! Thanks for posting this!

Lisa said...

Erin that is so fabulous!!!! You are so amazing and inspiration to everyone around you. You look awesome!!! Be careful if you lose too much more, we won't be able to see you.

Jacey said...

WOW! You look so "sexy", beautiful and HAPPY! I think we all finally reach a point when we are not happy with ourselves anymore and that's what does it. Something just clicks and we change ourselves. CONGRATS ERIN! You deserve to be happy and healthy!

Courtney said...

Erin, it was so good to get your family's Christmas card and the first thing I said out loud when I saw the pic (before reading your letter) was, "WOW! Erin looks amazing, she has lost a ton of weight." And you do girl! Good for you for sticking to it...worth it in so many ways...you are an inspiration! BEAUTIFUL before BUT the glow from within you now is just AMAZING!!!! Love you guys! I am private, but email me and I will send you an invite to our blog - courtneymilius@hotmail.com :)

nicole said...

Erin,
You look FANTASTIC! You look so HAPPY too! You have motivated me to take some weight off. Thank you for your example :o)
How do you do your cute banner at the top of your blog? I would like to do something similar.

Katie said...

Love the new blog header!

The Greens said...

You look great Erin!!! Simple as that!

Missy said...

I know what you mean when you look at your before pictures and remember how uncomfortable it is to be fat! Oh, I so remember that... You have worked so hard. I wish we knew each other a year ago. I know how hard it has been for you, been there!! STill going there. I have a few more to lose, too. Keep it up! :o)