I met Kristen Hansen for lunch today at Sweetcakes (Happy Birthday 3-0 to you!). Who can resist the sugar cookies from there? Not, me that is why I have avoided downtown like the plague. So, I ordered my food and made pretty good food choices and then I order 3 (Count them, 1-2-3) sugar cookies. I downed one and a half before I left and as I was heading out of the parking lot, I grabbed another chunk to nibble on and who do you know passes me, but Bettie Sue from Season 5 of The Biggest Loser. Yes, I know! Hello! How is that for a "big fat" wake up call? Her daughter, Ali is the one that won last season.

Bettie Sue was on Oprah last week too and has maintained part of her weight loss, but struggles day to day. Here I was shoving an icing slathered cookie down my throat, then along comes Bettie! When I saw her, I was like, crap, I should not be eating this! Then I swallowed and finished my second cookie!
Then...
I come home and while I am waiting for the kids to get off of the bus, I check my email and I get this email (at this point it is a sign):
{Sweet Satisfaction}
Try these tips to satisfy a sweet tooth without compromising your goals.
1. Don't beat yourself up. Enjoying the occasional portion-controlled sweet keeps you from feeling deprived and can actually help control your indulgences.
2. Be realistic. Sweet cravings may be partly emotional, so try to delay eating if you can. Instead, write in your journal for 15 minutes and then, when you're done, reassess whether you really need that treat.
3. Spend wisely. Spend your treat calories on sweets that also provide some nutrition, such as eight ounces of light chocolate soy milk that's enriched with calcium and vitamin D; one cup berries with one tablespoon chocolate syrup; one slice whole-grain toast topped with one teaspoon Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread and one teaspoon total of cinnamon and sugar; a Fiber One Chewy Bar; a half cup light, slow churned ice cream.
So I accessed:
- Although the cookie(s) were an occasional indulgence, they surely were not portion controlled especially when I ordered 3.
- The only emotion I was feeling was pure bliss! How was I suppose to write in my journal if I was licking my fingers clean?
- Oh, please! Do you think soy milk or wheat toast with light butter spread would really do when there is a Sweetcakes sugar cookie starring me in the face? Uh, no!
There it is, the reality check I need to focus. If I want to get these 5.5 pounds off before the end of the year, I need to practice a bit of self control! Thanks, Bettie!


4 comments:
Ha! I completely agree with your "accesses." For me, when that "thought" is in my head (the need for something sweet and quick!) There is NO stoping me from getting it.
I can't believe Bettie was there! Was she on Main? Or did you see her somewhere else? That's actually very cool. My "celebrity inspiration" is Katie Holmes. Yes the Kat of TomKat, but I think she's so cute. I don't think I will ever see her in Mesa. So I am good.
I totally forgot about my cookies!!! (Hows that for my 30 year old memory!) That was the WHOLE point of going to Sweetcakes. Oh ya, and to see you. JK!!!! I hope my kids haven't devoured them all.
Oh and Carole called my house, Mike's cell looking for me. YIKES!!! But she wasn't upset at all when I finally got there (20 min late!) She's a good woman.
What a nice friend! Hope you had a good lunch and that you enjoyed your cookies. You deserve them!!
you are doing a great job with your weightloss! Margaret commented the other night how great you look! you have more will power than i will ever have.
Yeah, I ran into Margaret while picking up Marcor and we were talking about the piano recital and she said, ERIN LOOKS GOOD! I was so proud of you! All I could do was smile and say, I KNOW DOESN'T SHE!
You are an inspiration!!!
Post a Comment