Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mountain Mama


It was a good trip and I was glad that Mom was able to go back with us. After the flying fiasco, once we were all in Pittsburgh, we headed to Wheeling to visit my Mom's side of the family. She was able to see her cousins of whom she hadn't seen in 9-10 years. It was fun to catch up with them and for me to get to know them better. They are great and so funny. We had a really nice time visiting with them.

We got up the next morning and visited a bit before we started our drive into Davis. There is nothing quite like the mountains of West Virginia. The are just so pretty. We spent some of our time going from shop to shop, but because of the rain, the festival kind of fizzled out. The most important part of the trip was visiting Dad's grave for the first time though. It was a very emotional time. While there, we visited quite a few graves of those who have gone before us and then bought flowers to place on all of them.

One of the highlights of the trip was going over to my Aunt Anita's and Uncle Jerry's for an evening. My cousin Jody and I use to hang out all the time when I went back to West Virginia for summers growing up.

You know, it just isn't the same going back there. People and places change. For the next trip we plan to do things differently. We would love to go back for the Pumpkin Festival or The Forest Festival (so many festivals). All in all, seeing the fall colors, going back to Flanagan Hill Cemetery and spending some quality girls time with my sister and Mom were worth it.

Can't wait for our next girls trip!

4 comments:

Jayna said...

Wow! What a special time with your mom and sister! Who took care of the kids?? I bet you missed them!

*DeMeLo HaPpEnInGs* said...

Welcome home! How nice to get away with your mom and Beth. And what an experience to visit your dads grave and visit family. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. And as far as the weight gain, i have no doubt you will have it off in a few days and then some!!!!! :) You look amazing by the way.

Katie said...

These pictures are BEAUTIFUL!! Your parents headstone turned out AMAZING! It is incredible! I am glad you were able to go and have fun with your Mom and Beth!

kh said...

In all my "East coast" magazines they talk a lot about the festivals they have for EVERYTHING. I so badly want to go and told Mike when we become "Empty Nesters" to be prepared, we will be doing a lot of festivals. I can't say how gosh darn thrilled he was about it too!

There is something so peaceful about being in the colors of nature. Your pics are so good. I love the dark reds and rich golds. Wow. Mike has been to Connecticut several times and he says too it's lovely in fall.

I am so glad you went and did what you did. What wonderful memories.