Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11



REMEMBER 9/11

Every time I hear Alan Jackson's song "Where were you?" (when the World stopped turning) and especially on the anniversaries of the tragedy, I think about where I was and run this day in history through my mind.

I was living in our first home, Kristen was 2, Brooklyn was only 5 months old and I was having a typical day at home with my girls. The phone rang and it was Ryan. He asked me, "Did you hear?" and I had no clue what he was talking about. He told me to turn on the t.v . I asked him what channel and he said it didn't matter; it would be on all channels. I asked what happened and he told me to just turn on the t.v. When I flicked it on I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I just sat there in disbelief and I didn't leave the couch unless it was necessary. It was like time was frozen for me. It was so surreal. I watched, as they replayed the crash over and over. I cried when I saw and heard of the family effected by this and thanked my Heavenly Father for mine.

I will always remember this day and where I was. It is etched in my memory forever. I WILL NOT FORGET!

Where were you?

2 comments:

kh said...

Humm... where was I?

It's funny how some events make no mark on your memory, but like you, I will never forget where I was when I heard.

I was at home in our little apartment Mike and I hadn't been married even a year and we had just lost our first baby. I was still on "leave" from work and was up really early to get Mike off to work. I turned on the TV (just for noise) while I went about doing chores, then I heard all the racket. I stopped to watch and (like you again) didn't leave my spot on the couch. I don't remember crying until later, I was in total shock about what I was seeing. It didn't make sense. Later when it was all said and done, then I cried. I couldn't imagine sending my husband off to work and never seeing him again. At the time that was all I knew, losing my spouse, but now, as the anniversaries roll around, I am sad for the kids who lost parents that day. It was such a tragic day, one that we won't forget.

I can't believe how significant this event still is in our lives. I hope it never loses it's valore and we can teach our children about that day.

Katie said...

What a nice memorial post. I did think of it today at the hospital. Life has been a little nuts this week. Have I mentioned how GOOD it is to be HOME!!