Friday, July 18, 2008

Young Women Girls Camp 2008

I can now breathe! It is officially done! Being called as the Stake Craft Leader was a bit overwhelming at times with my calling as 1st Counselor in Young Women's. I spent countless hours preparing for a couple days of projects. I got really positive feedback. The girls were excited about the project and I can truly say they were a success. So much so that they are already talking about next year. If I accept I will need a committee or at least an assistant. It is too much for one person to do.

We got to Camp LoMia on Saturday morning. We started out with group pictures and then the girls presented their banners and posted them. Since the theme was "Loyal to the Royal Within" the girls chose a princess to represent their Ward. Our girls were Jasmine from Aladdin, so their flag had a flying carpet on it and it said "Come Fly with Me to a Whole New World". While the girls were in certification classes I helped the Stake Staff decorate the Lodge. We were assigned to spruce it up a bit. We hung valances, put up art work with all the values and hung a large clock over the fireplace. It turned out so nice and it was nice to see a change. That evening the girls presented their skits to all the girls.

Sunday morning we all got up for church in Sacred Grove. I have had the opportunity to attend church outside two times this summer (both in beautiful surroundings). The weather was beautiful. There is really nothing like it. Too bad we can't do it every Sunday. That day we had some "solo" time, Ward time and and evening fireside program. The Stake put together a sensory presentation. The girls were blindfolded and were given things to touch as stories and music were played. They even had some babies there for the girls to touch their feet when they were talking of Jesus Christ birth. It was really a touching (no pun intended) program and to see the girls get emotional and to feel of the spirit that was there was amazing. I cried so much that night I woke up with my eyes swollen shut.

Monday morning was the start of crafts. I had 4 groups (about 80 or so girls) and it was hectic and I was under staffed. I finally did get some help and things went smoother. I survived. The only bad part about all that was that I missed out on some fun things (canoeing, rappelling, zip line and horseback riding). That evening we also had a good program with the Ward for Family Home Evening.

Tuesday brought more crafting but was less stressful. I had alot less girls and they were on the most part older and were able to do much on their own. The girls finished up certification. The evening was nice with the closing program and awards. They had a slide show of the girls at camp and then they all partied it up on their last night there.

Wednesday was packin' it up and driving home!!!

Through out the time there, I volunteered in the kitchen and met some really great people. Everything was well planned and done extremely well. The Camp Leaders even had a gift for us each night placed on our pillows and we were given embroidered pillow cases with the camp theme on them. I did have a good time when all was said and done. It took a lot of prep work to get there, but was really a rewarding experience.

Now, I need to get over this tiredness. I still feel so exhausted. I can't shake it. I need some energy!

Right off of the buses on Saturday

The Ward group on Sunday after church! Aren't they pretty?


Top Left to Right : Jan Dowdy, Me and Beth Ann Wright
Bottom Left to Right: Carolyn Saum, Mandy Smith, Bishop Grif Hiatt, Rich Murset and Lori Ervin

4 comments:

kh said...

I haven't even read the text yet, I am a sucker for pictures. It's amazing how I can read a book with NO PICTURES! :0)

You look so young. You look like Kristen (rather she looks like you) and more like her SISTER than her MOTHER.

Okay, now I will READ it. :0)

kh said...

Okay WOW! What a fun time. Mandy emailed me about the sensory night you had and wants to do it for HFPE in Oct. Sounds awesome. I think I would have cried too, I love being around women, we are all cry babies and no one cares! I loved Girls Camp when I was younger, I hope they still do it when my girls are old enough. Like you said, there is nothing more spiritual than to be outdoors and to feel the Spirit around you.

I am so happy your crafts went well. You really are superwoman to do all that a not have a breakdown! I bet the lack of energy is because your body knows you can finally take it easy and just relax. Give yourself some down time, you will be energized in no time!

Rich and Bishop DO look pretty! Pink is so their color! wink!

Katie said...

I can't imagine why on earth you are still tired? Could it be the 5 hours spent at our house on the Wii, or maybe it was having my kids over on Thursday! I am still sorry for asking you. But THANK YOU so much!!
I love the pictures!! That one of Rich and Bishop with the girls is awesome! Love the hats as well.
Just relax and enjoy Twilight. You DESERVE the escape into a good book!!!

kh said...

HA HA HA HA! I think I need to check your blog EVERY DAY just so I don't miss out on ALL THE FREAKIN CUTE TEMPLATES you do. Please DO NOT go to my blog, you will pass out from boredom.

See!!! I KNEW you were much BETTER at this than me. You need to start a business designing blogs. (Just incase you have NOTHING else to do in your life right now!)

Genious!