Monday, June 2, 2008

Celebrate Good Times

The last week of May is always a big one as we have Ryan's birthday to celebrate and our anniversary as well. Ryan's 34th birthday is May 29th and our 12th Anniversary was on the 31st. We decided practically last minute to celebrate both with a trip to Seattle.

Before I get into the trip and the fun we had, I had to make sure I gave a shout out to my one and only. Ryan is pretty special, not only because he is socially challenged! Ryan is one of the most loyal and dedicated men I know. He works hard, too hard sometimes. Even though, he is rough around he edges, he is a lover...he is sweet when it comes to his girls (this is a work in progress). He still has his "grown up with all brothers-have to think I am tough-can't show too much emotion-tourettes syndrome moments", but down deep he is a big softy who loves and cares and would do anything for anyone, whenever they asked. Not alot of people get him though and I think he likes it that way. I however, usually know the next thing that is going to be coming out of his mouth (although, he does throw one in here and there that still keeps me guessing-I think he does that on purpose). Ryan is quiet. Not so much at home as I am usually telling him to lower it a couple octaves. Most people take his quietness and just don't know what to do with it. There are many people who have told me that they don't know if Ryan likes them. I ask them if he has ever spoken to them or made fun of them, then that is usually an indication that you are "in"! He is funny that way.



12 years! I can't believe I put up with him that long :0) Ryan has been there for me in so many big momentous and crazy days in my life. He has been there for me during jobs, 4 baby girls, callings, deaths and all those everyday things we don't often think too much about. He keeps me grounded and helps me to not flip out too much when I am freaking out about my to-do's. He always pulls through for me. He was amazing when my Dad passed away. His words and strength kept me together. He is always so level headed and I always way over think things. We are a good balance. I love how Ryan honors his priesthood and is strong and dedicated to his family and to his Heavenly Father. I am one lucky lady...blessed beyond words!









Years ago, actually about 9, I know this because this was our first trip after we had Kristen, we headed to Seattle for an overnighter. Now, it is a place we go from time to time for a quick get-a-away. The last time we were there was 3 years ago. I know this, because a couple weeks after we returned, I found out I was pregnant with Reagan. Now, we get to the point where we just can't shake the Ivar's urge and have to go get some fish! We hadn't even left the airport in Seattle for the hotel before we enjoyed it. Yum!


View from front of Hotel


View from back of Hotel

We stayed in a really nice Hotel (Fairmont Olympic) in downtown Seattle and decided for this trip to not rent a car and we would just walk the city. We really liked it! We had rented a car other times and explored the outer city on other occasions. The hotel was quite swanky, you know, the terry robe, turn down service kind of a hotel. After we settled in, we headed down to the Pier to browse and have Ivar's...again!






View from the window of the hotel


View inside the hotel


Ivar's


Feeding the Seagulls French Fries at Ivar's


Taking the Monorail to the Seattle Center and Space Needle

One of our earlier trips we had seen this tour called "Ride the Ducks" which Ryan made fun of. This time though, we decided to do the tour for kicks and it was fun! The tour guide was goofy and would play crazy music, dance around and put on themed hats. It was corny, but funny and the tour took us through the city and out on the lake. We were able to see alot of the big sites throughout the city and they showed us the Sleepless in Seattle houseboat (Which a couple bought for $600,000 after the movie and two people are in a bidding war and the final sale could be up to $3 million-How's that for a profit?).





Riding the Duck


Tour guide as we entered the Lake


View from on the Lake





When you hit Seattle you have to go to Pike's Place Market. The market is filled with local vendors selling from beautiful bouquets of flowers to fish. They have all of these little nooks and crannies, all filled with vendors. The vegetables looked amazing! This is also home of the Pike's Place Fish Market. People crowd around to just watch. When someone orders fish the guys put on a show for you. They yell out and toss the fish in the air. Pretty cool! Across from Pike's is the first ever Starbuck's. There are Starbucks...everywhere!!



Seattle is a city built on top a city. For the first time we decided to do the underground tour. We learned alot of history and the tour was entertaining.


Underground Seattle

This trip was really amazing. I enjoyed it all. The hotel, the food, the company and the weather! It was hard to leave the weather. I am so grateful for Katie and for my sister Beth and her family for taking care of the kids so that we could get a much needed break and time to be just husband and wife. I truly have some great people in my life!

2 comments:

kh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

What a FUN trip! I am glad you posted this. As we haven't had a chance to really hear about it yet! I'm glad you were able to go. There is just something about taking a break from "parenting" to be "husband & wife". It is so theraputic. Reading this makes me want to go to Seattle. I've never been.
Rich and I did a duck tour while we were in Boston. It was fun!
I'm SO excited for next week!!