Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Nothing to Laugh About

Have you tried the Laughing Cow Cheese? This is no laughing matter. This is seriously YUM! I have been trying to find ways to shave off calories from my diet by substituting things. This is a great find. I know it has been around for awhile, but when I saw the commercial (power in advertising) saying that it was 35 calories a wedge and knowing my love for all things cheese, I decided I would give it a shot. So worth it! It has become one of my kids and mine (who am I kidding) favorite snacks. So far, I have used it on my sandwiches and with crackers. We like to have a wedge with Cream Cheese and Chive flavored Wheat Thins. Even Reagan eats it. They have several flavors: The Original Swiss, Light Original Swiss (which I buy), French Onion and Garlic and Herb. I thought I would search for some other recipe ideas and there are some great ones on the web. This is just a smidgen of what I found. The website also has recipe ideas and ways to substitute this cheese for others in your recipes.


Here are some I found:

Toast a muffin, spread Laughing Cow Cheese on it, add some lettuce, a tomato slice, and a couple slices of turkey bacon for a low point BLT.

Use the laughing cow cheese on toast with sugar free strawberry jelly. It is so yummy! There is enough in the one wedge to cover both pieces of bread.

Put it in a bowl and get it nice and soft. Add in a tiny bit of brown sugar Splenda and mix. Spread it on an english muffin or a bagel--OH MY!!! It's like sweetened cream cheese.

Put it in a bowl and add some chopped broccoli that's room temp and season to taste. Spread it on boneless skinless chicken breast that have been flattened. Roll up to resemble chicken cordon bleu, season chicken and bake OR you roll in egg beaters and crushed garlic melba toast and bake for crispy baked chicken with broccoli and cheese filling.

Steam cauliflower or broccoli in microwave with small amount of chicken broth and garlic salt and pepper. Then add the lcl (flavored is great) and kind of mush it up. It is awesome for 1 point!

You could also take the different flavors (garlic and herb) and mix it up with spinach for a yummy filling to stuffed shells or use it as a substitute when making lasagna.

If you like the chinese food favorite Crab Rangoon - you can use some of it with whatever spices and whatever meat or fish you like and use it as a filling in wonton wrappers for a yummy chinese food renovation or if you are making your own tortellini.

You can use it in quiches or frittata's for breakfast.

Satisfy craving for cheesecake. Mix one wedge with a packet of Splenda and spread it on a graham cracker.

3 comments:

kh said...

Freak. Only you could make cheese in a can and a large store with craft items sound awesome.

I actually AVOID all stores like this like they were the plague. I can't go in them anymore. So your gift card will be around for a long time!

Why?

I spend too much. And our budget can't take that kind of spending. It's no "laughing" matter (Ha, I thought I would throw that pun in there. Cheesy me.) but I seriously am banned from all craft stores valley wide.

But the cheese sounds Fan.Tas.Tic. Will you make me something with it?

kh said...

Oh and I didn't mean that you were a Freak. I meant it like an expression "Freak!" (Since I have such a limited amount of expressions that mainly consist of four-letter words, I thought I would branch out a bit today.)

Oh and I think I will save the card and use it to buy flowers when I (FINALLY) do my girls room. Hopefully it will still be good in 2018.

Katie said...

You already had me thinking I should try this cheese. Now I am going to have to be SURE and get some.
Have I told you I love the new look? Kristen did such a great job on your pictures and you have put them to great use :o)