Monday, April 14, 2008

Boost

Whatever!


We all like receiving compliments but many times we aren’t sure how to receive them. What do we say? Do we accept the compliment responding with a “thank you” or do we decide to disagree giving a hundred reasons why they are wrong? After an experience I had yesterday I had to share this:

I don’t know about you, but I often get the most compliments on the days I feel the least worthy to receive them. The day the humidity
turns my hair into an afro is the day someone says they like my hair. I find myself fumbling around making excuses for the accident of a hairdo that someone seems to like. Besides coming across insulting it is just plain unappreciative to respond that way. Why can’t I just say a simple thank you and tell them they made my day? Is it THAT hard?

Unfortunately, many people struggle to receive any kind of encouragement - whether it’s a compliment on the way someone looks or a positive response to a
kind act. As I thought about this subject more, I came up with four helpful tips that might help someone who may resist receiving such positive feedback.
  • Always work to improve yourself physically and spiritually. It is much easier to accept praise and encouragement in areas that you are currently working to improve.
  • Working out and eating right helps build self-confidence. Insecurity can push people away in a heartbeat.
  • Don’t be afraid to compliment and encourage others. Many times our own insecurities get in the way of lifting someone else up. The best step towards learning how to receive encouragement is to purposefully encourage others.
  • Realize people see you differently than you see yourself. You look at yourself through a magnifying glass and others don’t. It’s like my car. I know every chip in the paint and every flaw on my car because I am the one that washes and details it. Everyone else may think it’s a nice car.

Sometimes you need a little {boost} to trudge on. I got that yesterday when I went to church. I was leaving Sunday School and a couple of sisters gave me some compliments that I just so needed. Then I went into Young Women and a couple of my Young Women gave me some really great compliments too. As you know I have been trying to get some of this weight off and sometimes I feel like a total failure and that I am not seeing any major progress and you need something to just give you a "jolt" to get you on track again. The funny thing is that not one compliment was about my weight loss . But, I needed to hear some positive things to keep me in check and keep me motivated to look and feel like I want to. I was so proud of myself for responding in a better way than I would have in the past. There were no "Whatevers"! I was feeling particularly good about me in general yesterday, thanks to these sisters and their kindness. They do not know what they did for me.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love this post Erin! You are always so good to think things through and you made some really good points! I'm glad that they were there to give you the boost you needed.
You are such a wonderful friend! Thank you for being you!!

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

Why THANK YOU Katie!