.jpg)
This is the day that I can't believe is here. It has been a year today that we as family lost a little piece of ourselves with the passing of my father, Rudolph Warren Flanagan "Rudy". Life surely has changed, but yet it is the same in a strange way. Life keeps going on even though there is a big part of it missing. To say 364 days ago that I could have dealt with this loss, I wouldn't have believed it. I have come out a bit stronger...spiritually. I have never had a stronger testimony of the power of prayer and of the plan of salvation. I have never wanted to work so hard to inherit those blessing promised to us all.
I want to share some about my father's life and how he impacted the lives around him. In his memory, I am including part of his life sketch from the memorial services and some of the entries that were put in my father's guest book; a small glimpse at what kind of man he was:
Rudolph Warren Flanagan was born on May 3, 1948 in Elkins, WV. He was the 2nd son of 6 boys to loving parents, Rudolph Ruleman and Mary Virginia Flanagan (The day of my Dad's viewing in West Virginia was 31 years to the day that he lost his father). He grew up in West Virginia on his grandfather’s farm. The love for his family and the Flanagan farm was evident in the way he led his life.
After moving away from West Virginia to work for the airlines, he brought his love for farming with him. He recreated a small part of his heritage and his love for farming in Texas so he would always have a small part of West Virginia with him. My Dad's garden was the best! He went from long hours on the farm to long hours with Piedmont Airlines(UsAirways); giving the airlines 36 years of service.
He married his sweetheart and eternal companion, Cheryl Lyn in 1970. He loved his wife with all he had. He didn't want to do anything without her. He would always tell his children to look at their mother and he would say; "Isn’t she beautiful?” To be loved the way he loved her! There are also six kids in our family; Beth, Jimmy, Erin, Kari, Lauren and Jared. My Dad was the hardest working man I have ever known. He took his role as a father seriously and took pride in his work. He never fully rested from his duties at work or at home. He sacrificed many material things for us. We always came first.
My father was a special man. He touched so many people and the funny thing is he was such a humble man that he never realized it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 13, 2008
In a couple of days, it will have been a year since my father graduated from this life to begin his work in the next. My father has and will always be my hero. I think of all that he taught me... which lessons he probably didn't know he was giving. He taught me how to love my wife. He taught me how to have faith and to do what is right no matter how difficult it may be. My father taught me about courage. My father was a vision of humility. He taught me how to work hard, do things right the first time, and have pride in the things that I do. My father and mother often went without so that his children didn't have to. My father was a wonderful friend. He was the perfect example of what a father should be. These things, along with countless others, my father taught me and often he never said a word... I just watched what he was doing and how he carried himself. I can't wait for the glorious day of our reunion. I love you Dad, more than words can express.
Jim Flanagan (Justin, TX)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 25, 2007
When I think of Rudy, one word comes immediately to mind...respect.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't a wonderful friend...he was. I always had a great time and enjoyed coming to work when I knew I was going to be working with Rudy that day.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't an intelligent man...he was. Shoot, I don't know how many times Rudy and I played chess together when I worked under him on the ramp, but I can count on one hand the numbers of times that I won. You could always count on Rudy to have a well-reasoned opinion on just about any topic and it always carried some additional weight because not only was it usually just good common sense, it also carried a moral authority with it as well.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't a man with a sense of humor...he was. I remember many a time getting red-in-the-face with laughter when Rudy was around. Not only did he enjoy my practical jokes, but he was a co-conspirator on more than one occasion.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't a kind and caring man...he was. Rudy would give you the shirt off of his back if it would help you. If you had a problem, there was no better person to go to because he genuinely cared about you and your situation.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't a great family man...he was. It didn't take long after meeting Rudy to know how very important his family was to him. He spoke often of Cheryl and the kids and you could tell, just by the way he spoke, how very much he loved and cherished all of them.
It was because of all of these things that he was...that I have more respect for Rudy than almost any other man I have ever known. Rudy was a truly great man and I'm a better man for having known him and if I'm better for having known him only for the time that we worked together, I can only imagine what kind of wonderful people his children will be for having grown up with him as their father.
Greg & Joanne Kleidon (Watauga, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 25, 2007
A rare man.
Faith, family, career,
Rudy set an example for all who
were fortunate enough to share a
portion of their lives with him.
Jim Bowman (Acme, Pa.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 24, 2007
The service was beautiful and so touching. The man that "ramp cross-trained" 20+ years ago is gone now, but will never be forgotten. The Piedmont tribute by the ramp guys just goes to show you how much Rudy meant to all of us. He will be so missed but never forgotten in our hearts or our souls...have a Snickers & Diet Coke for me Rudy....Nanbo
Nan Bowen (Double Oak, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 21, 2007
I just wanted to let the family know that those of us who are on duty today who worked with Rudy under the Piedmont Airlines Banner will all be taking good care of Rudy on his last official flight out of DFW back home to West Virginia. We have decided that in a tribute to Rudy we are all going to change from our current US Airways uniforms into our old, cherished Piedmont uniforms as we work flight 997. In a small way we hope that this will let the family, and Rudy, know just how much we will miss the wonderful, generous mountain of a man that he was.
Randy Haynes (Irving, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 20, 2007
My prayers and thoughts are with this very wonderful family, on the loss of a very wonderful man.
Rudy touched so many lives in a special way, and will be truly missed.
Rudy is sitting in Heaven smiling down on all of you with the joy and pride he always had in his family.
You are all truly blessed with a very special guardian angel.
God bless you all through this difficult time.
Lisa Kiser (Flower Mound, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 19, 2007
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I grew up with Warren, and he was a wonderful person. I watched him and my brother play Basketball and Football. He was a sports lover. He always took time to help others even as a child, it is wonderful to read the other comments and know that all of his great traits didn't change throughout the years.
When I think of Rudy, one word comes immediately to mind...respect.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't a wonderful friend...he was. I always had a great time and enjoyed coming to work when I knew I was going to be working with Rudy that day.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't an intelligent man...he was. Shoot, I don't know how many times Rudy and I played chess together when I worked under him on the ramp, but I can count on one hand the numbers of times that I won. You could always count on Rudy to have a well-reasoned opinion on just about any topic and it always carried some additional weight because not only was it usually just good common sense, it also carried a moral authority with it as well.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't a man with a sense of humor...he was. I remember many a time getting red-in-the-face with laughter when Rudy was around. Not only did he enjoy my practical jokes, but he was a co-conspirator on more than one occasion.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't a kind and caring man...he was. Rudy would give you the shirt off of his back if it would help you. If you had a problem, there was no better person to go to because he genuinely cared about you and your situation.
Not to say that Rudy wasn't a great family man...he was. It didn't take long after meeting Rudy to know how very important his family was to him. He spoke often of Cheryl and the kids and you could tell, just by the way he spoke, how very much he loved and cherished all of them.
It was because of all of these things that he was...that I have more respect for Rudy than almost any other man I have ever known. Rudy was a truly great man and I'm a better man for having known him and if I'm better for having known him only for the time that we worked together, I can only imagine what kind of wonderful people his children will be for having grown up with him as their father.
Greg & Joanne Kleidon (Watauga, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 25, 2007
A rare man.
Faith, family, career,
Rudy set an example for all who
were fortunate enough to share a
portion of their lives with him.
Jim Bowman (Acme, Pa.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 24, 2007
The service was beautiful and so touching. The man that "ramp cross-trained" 20+ years ago is gone now, but will never be forgotten. The Piedmont tribute by the ramp guys just goes to show you how much Rudy meant to all of us. He will be so missed but never forgotten in our hearts or our souls...have a Snickers & Diet Coke for me Rudy....Nanbo
Nan Bowen (Double Oak, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 21, 2007
I just wanted to let the family know that those of us who are on duty today who worked with Rudy under the Piedmont Airlines Banner will all be taking good care of Rudy on his last official flight out of DFW back home to West Virginia. We have decided that in a tribute to Rudy we are all going to change from our current US Airways uniforms into our old, cherished Piedmont uniforms as we work flight 997. In a small way we hope that this will let the family, and Rudy, know just how much we will miss the wonderful, generous mountain of a man that he was.
Randy Haynes (Irving, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 20, 2007
My prayers and thoughts are with this very wonderful family, on the loss of a very wonderful man.
Rudy touched so many lives in a special way, and will be truly missed.
Rudy is sitting in Heaven smiling down on all of you with the joy and pride he always had in his family.
You are all truly blessed with a very special guardian angel.
God bless you all through this difficult time.
Lisa Kiser (Flower Mound, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 19, 2007
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I grew up with Warren, and he was a wonderful person. I watched him and my brother play Basketball and Football. He was a sports lover. He always took time to help others even as a child, it is wonderful to read the other comments and know that all of his great traits didn't change throughout the years.
I know he is with the Lord and smiling down on his loving family. I know this is a very difficult time for you and your family. May God be with you and richly bless you. Warren will be missed by all who knew him.
Patty Heitz (North Richland Hills, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 19, 2007
Where do I begin? Rudy and Cheryl are the most awesome people ever! This has got to be the most beautiful family I have ever seen and I say that as I think what makes them so beautiful? Well the way they are as a family, the closeness, the passion, the way they care about others, but most of all the love they have for everyone. Rudy is truly going to be missed, but this family is so strong they will all stand together and support one another through this terrible time. Rudy will be looking down with a smile on his face and standing tall with pride!
My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Angela Baldwin (Justin, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 18, 2007
In the airline industry - people come and go. Once in a while there's one that leaves an impression. An impression of professionalism, an impression of laughter, an impression of a friend, an impression of one of the good guys… Thanks, Rudy for being one of the good ones. You will be greatly missed.
Wayne and Laura Simmons (Bedford, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 18, 2007
I honestly don't know where to start. I met Rudy in 1984 when I started with Piedmont Airlines. Rudy was the best Operations Manager I've worked for in the four stations I've been in. Rudy could get rattled, but even when he did so you could tell it was because he genuinely cared about the person he was talking to; which on more than one occasion early in my career happened to be me. I really can't express in words how much I thought of the gentle bear of a man that Rudy was. I know he loved his family. We had discussions about our faith on more than one occasion; so, I know he loved God also. I'm truly saddened by the loss of such a tender hearted man; but I know that when he breathed out his last breath here on Earth he breathed in his next one with his maker. My condolences go out to his family. You are all in my prayers.
Randall Haynes (Irving, TX)
Patty Heitz (North Richland Hills, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 19, 2007
Where do I begin? Rudy and Cheryl are the most awesome people ever! This has got to be the most beautiful family I have ever seen and I say that as I think what makes them so beautiful? Well the way they are as a family, the closeness, the passion, the way they care about others, but most of all the love they have for everyone. Rudy is truly going to be missed, but this family is so strong they will all stand together and support one another through this terrible time. Rudy will be looking down with a smile on his face and standing tall with pride!
My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Angela Baldwin (Justin, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 18, 2007
In the airline industry - people come and go. Once in a while there's one that leaves an impression. An impression of professionalism, an impression of laughter, an impression of a friend, an impression of one of the good guys… Thanks, Rudy for being one of the good ones. You will be greatly missed.
Wayne and Laura Simmons (Bedford, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 18, 2007
I honestly don't know where to start. I met Rudy in 1984 when I started with Piedmont Airlines. Rudy was the best Operations Manager I've worked for in the four stations I've been in. Rudy could get rattled, but even when he did so you could tell it was because he genuinely cared about the person he was talking to; which on more than one occasion early in my career happened to be me. I really can't express in words how much I thought of the gentle bear of a man that Rudy was. I know he loved his family. We had discussions about our faith on more than one occasion; so, I know he loved God also. I'm truly saddened by the loss of such a tender hearted man; but I know that when he breathed out his last breath here on Earth he breathed in his next one with his maker. My condolences go out to his family. You are all in my prayers.
Randall Haynes (Irving, TX)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 17, 2007
Rudy was the first person at DFW to greet me when I first arrived here from Jacksonville, Florida. I had to commute for six months and it was always Rudy that took care of me at the ticket counter. Being Piedmont "family" made a difference. It showed then and will always be remembered. A wonderful man that I didn't spend enough time with. We sure did laugh and have some good times and that's how I'll remember him. One of God's best. He knew the job and could back it up.
Keith Thompson (EULESS, TX)
---------------------------------------------------------------
This is just a small portion of the thoughts that came flooding in when my Dad passed. Without hesitation I can say that the lives my father has left his mark on will extend into generations. His beliefs, his work ethic, his kindness, his conviction and his loving manner are ones that I aspire to. I only hope that I can influence just a small portion of the people that he has. It is a big joke that everyone thinks that I was my Dad's favorite. I think it is funny. I feel my Dad thought everyone was his favorite. Well, at least that is how you felt when you were with him. No matter who you were; be it a friend, coworker, brother, wife or child when you were with him he just made you feel special. When my Dad spoke, everyone would stop to listen. I was told that at work when people would be debating an issue, when
my Dad would chime in with his opinion, the whole room would quiet and listen to his thoughts. He was that kind of man. He was very forthcoming with his beliefs, but always taught with love. I can truly say that my father taught me the things of importance and without a doubt know that I am the person I am because of the person he was. I pray that I can instill in my daughters the same values he instilled in me. I thought my Dad was the cutest thing (although he didn't like to be told he was "cute"). I use to tell myself I wanted to find someone to marry that had some of the same qualities that my father had, even though that was quite a tall order. He is an inspiration to me and to our family. My hope is that we as a family will walk tall and remember who we are...that we will do those things that will make our father happy. He was a true example of the believers and I am so blessed to have had a father like he was. We used to joke around with him, giving him a hard time and he would always say, "You'll miss me when I'm gone". You were right once again Dad! You are truly missed! We are forever blessed to have had you in our lives and can't wait for the day we can be together again as a family. So until we meet again...know that I love you and that I am grateful for all your years of sacrifice, guidance and especially love.



3 comments:
AHH! And I thought my morning was going so great. I should not have made it a habit to check your blog so often.
I won't tell you this is a wonderful post and tribute to your dear father, cause you know it is. Why else would you have done it? I see a lot of him in you, you are more like your father than you know Erin and I can promise that when you leave this world, these same words will be expressed on your behalf.
I won't go into my RS lesson, but I too can add my testimony about the plan of salvation and our promise of having an eternal family. There is NOTHING I want more than to be reunited with my son with my other children around me. What a gift we have been given! After losing my son and now after losing our beloved prophet that I held so close (since his granddaughter in law and I are so close) have now since passed on I can't help but think about the joyous reunions going on in heaven. It's saddness we feel but happiness they feel. Though having never met your father, I can see him now looking at you, watching over you and smiling, perhaps even laughing at this post and how he was SO CUTE!!!
I remember this day so well when I first found out. It was all I could do to go to you and comfort you (I hope I did too.) I can't imagine losing my dad. I love my mom and will be sad when she passes, but there is something special about a father. My heart still goes out to you Erin. Everyday I am thankful for your strength and for your friendship. You may not know it or think it, but I have so much to learn from you and your example.
So now I will say it. This was a lovely tribute. I may now be crying and thinking of your pain (anniversaries are NOT easy!) but know I love you and so does everyone around you.
Take Care.
(It wouldn't be appropriate to stop my LONG comments now, would it?)
Thank you so much Kristen; for your friendship (you were such a support during that time), for your uplifting comments and for your testimony.
I agree with you on the joyous reunion they are having. I think of those that went before. I think about the fact that my father is with his father and with his brother and that he is not hurting like he was and I am nothing more than happy for him, but my selfishness wants him here. I don't know how people deal without the knowledge of eternal families. Knowing that I have the opportunity to be with him again is my comfort. I can't imagine the strength it has had to take you to deal with the loss of a child. It is YOU who I have much to learn from!
Erin, that was so sweet! I have been thinking of you all week with the one year mark. I can relate to so many of the words you wrote about your dad. I feel very much the same about my dad. There are so many similarities between them. The hardworking, the way they touched so many lives but didn't really take credit or recognize. Thank you for sharing your sweet thoughts about your Dad with us!
I am grateful for our friendship and for your example to me. You are such a great person and one who I have a lot to learn from.
Post a Comment