Thursday, October 30, 2008

(happy as a) LARK


The phone rang this morning and the school number was on the Caller ID. I don't know about you, but every time I see that number flash up there, my stomach sinks and I say to myself, "Dang it, what now!" I figured one of the girls had gotten sick, as the school is plagued with sickness right now, but to my surprise it was the principal. She proceeded to tell me that Kristen was sent to her office (I am thinking..."great!" that is a better alternative). But, then also assured me that this was a happy call and she had to share with me how proud she was of her. Kristen was chosen from her class to come and read her story to the principal and she wanted me to know how good it was. She told me it was funny, scary and written really well. I have to share with you the beginning. It made me laugh. The rest of the story is really good too and ends with them finding a lost cat in the attic and realizing the mansion actually wasn't haunted like all the legends say.

The “Scary” Mansion
By: Kristen Woods

There in the pouring rain, I knew I had to go inside. I had heard stories of the Jenkins’ Mansion. It had been abandoned when Old Man Jenkins died 15 years ago. I walked up to the door and knocked, even though I knew no one would answer.
After a couple of minutes I pushed the door handle down and the door opened. I heard music and talking from upstairs. I walked in. I went up the stairs very slowly. Crack, creek, crack, they went. When I was at the top of the stairs I opened the door to where the music was coming from. I saw the most horrible, dreadful, worst thing a 10 year old could have ever seen…….. Mrs. Jenkins, doing an exercise video.

A month or so ago I also got a phone call from the school from her P.E. Teacher telling me what a wonderful daughter that I had and that she was always so kind and helpful to everyone. She said that she hopes her daughters can grow to be the kind of girl that Kristen is. That is music to a Mom's ears!

I just had to recognize Kristen for all she achieves. She has always loved to learn and she works hard. Last night she spent her evening preparing for a Chapter Review test in Social Studies. I quizzed her on things and was amazed at how much she knows. Heck, and how much I learned! I had to let everyone know how great my daughter Kristen is and for the example she is to her sisters and to me. How very blessed I am to have a daughter that strives for the best and is so goal oriented. I am so happy that you are my daughter. I love you!

6 comments:

Katie said...

My heart does the same thing. Even today when I too got a call. I had forgotten to call and report Kaylee's absence :) She is home with the dreaded sickness!

Kristen is great! I love that story. She will be talented like her mom! Thank you for sharing with us!!

*DeMeLo HaPpEnInGs* said...

hahaha LOL...that last line made me laugh of Kristen's story. She has quite the writing future ahead of her.

Well props to you for having a wonderful daughter. You are obviously an amazing mother. Good Job Kristen!

kh said...

Again, it's the name! :0) Ha ha. Okay, I have bled that one to death.

Way to go! An old woman doing an exercise video is still my worst nightmare. Oops, that's me in the mirror! JK. I am super lame today. But that is so great for her! Does she tell stories as well as she writes?

And I so know the feeling about the Caller ID from the school. In my case it's always Marcor's teacher!

kh said...

You got Sitemeter! Yay! Now you can keep watch for all the scary people. Which one did you decide on? (Paid or Free?)

Ahhh, and looky! You brought back Shopping Cart Confessions. Shucks, that's real nice of ya.

Oh and don't forget to check out the Pioneer Woman!
:0)

nicole said...

hey erin,
your blog is way too cute! the pics of your girls are so cute~ where were they taken? i didn't realize how many people blog~ i'm so far behind the general public! this will be a fun way to keep in touch : )

Katie said...

I really thought that was a very funny story.from Billy Bob Joe