Saturday, May 3, 2008

Best Gift


December 2006 (less than 2 months before his death)

60 years ago today, one of the most important men in my life was born, my father. It surely, will not be the same today not hearing his voice. I miss hearing it. I watched a video of him last night, so I could. I will miss my chat with him today as I usually make my long distance call to send him birthday wishes.

I don't think there could be a better gift for him than what my Mom, Brother and Sister-in-law are giving him today. Today they are heading to the Dallas Temple to do ordinance work. They are participating in a sealing session on behalf of my Great Grandma, Elsie Susan Harper (below with Dad) and my Great Grandfather, Hillery Benson Flanagan. They then hope to seal my Grandfather, Rudolph Ruleman Flanagan (Dad's Father) to them. Oh, the rejoicing there will be in Heaven today! My Dad specifically talked about the genealogy work that needed to be done in his journaling . Nothing will make him more happy than to know that this work has been fulfilled. What better way to honor him, than to do this work? I only wish I could be there to witness it
.


Grandma Elsie and Dad at Flanagan Farm

My smiley cutie of a Dad (front right) &
my Grandfather, Rudolph in the swing

2 comments:

Katie said...

Erin, this is so sweet. I wish I had a video to watch of my dad. That would be so nice. Your dad seems like an amazing person! My dad would've been 60 in January.
What a special day for your mom! There surely will be some grateful family members!! It is such a treat to be able to do work for family members. Just a little extra special.
Thanks for a FUN night!!

Anonymous said...

Erin..Thanks for getting me all emotional here at work :) I miss him so much too. Love your post!! Love you...your favorite sister- Bo