Monday, March 24, 2008

Break? What Break?

A Women's work...

...is never done, especially in my house! Warning: If you've never felt like the woman in the picture, you might as well just stop reading now, because you won't understand and you won't have any sympathetic comments to offer me anyway. Okay, so now that you REAL women remain, here's the rant... Have you ever had one of those days (or weeks, or months) where everything is so nutty that you have to laugh because you have totally lost your mind! Where the demands of wife, mother, daughter, friend, etc., etc., etc., simply seem impossible to meet? When you finally get the kitchen floor mopped that you've been meaning to take care of for a week, getting "chockie mil" with the other hand and successfully answering the phone with your teeth, only to have the dog puke all over the sparkling floor (okay, I don't have a dog, but it sounded dramatic)... Well, the roles of Wife, Mother and Maid are only the tip of the iceberg for me and for most women I know. I am also a Chauffeur, Nurse, Teacher, Visiting Teacher, Laurel Advisor, Accountant, Laundress, Family Thank You Note/Birthday Present/Baby Gift Specialist, Weekly Family Home Evening Planner, Chef, Personal Shopper, Lawn Mower, "Interior Designer", Event Planner, Bedtime "tucker-inner", School Newsletter Creator, Friend, Daughter, Granddaughter, Niece, Aunt, Cousin... I don't think the list ever ends, does it, Girls? I have to admit, however, that there are great rewards for being unimaginably busy and filling countless roles. I may not get thank you cards or The Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing my praises, but I get my two-year-old's hugs (yes, there are now chocolate stains on my shirt...), my four-year-old's infectious giggle and humor, my six-year-olds goofiness and my nine-year-olds expressions of love. I get hugs and kisses from my husband, smiles and encouragement from my friends, phone calls from family, a roof over my head to enjoy, enough $ to pay the bills and also enough to play a little bit, good food to eat, a hard working devoted husband and four beautiful little daughters... who will someday be doing all of this themselves. Ha! Now that's justice!

3 comments:

kh said...

I had no desire to even be online this whole week. I didn't want to read anyone's blog about their perfect life and see all their cute Easter photos, it was all going to make me gag or bawl. So I chose NOT to even be online at all, My house is totally WRECK from having family over this last weekend. I am not feeling well at all, my kids are the whiniest kids on the planet and my husband is most demanding. (can't he leave already!) So as I was vacuuming and noticed I too needed to tackle my kitchen floor the thought came to me, go to the computer! HA HA! What? The one place I am trying to avoid! Right! But here I am. And your's was the first blog I checked. It's a miracle. I am NOT alone. I totally relate to this post and the picture. Thanks. Maybe Monday's aren't so terrible!

Whew. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

Katie said...

I LOVE this post! I know that you are well aware of how overwhelmed I have been lately too. (meaning I whine to you too much...sorry.) But as Kristen said, it is nice to think we are not alone in those moments.
Seriously...anywhere, USA sounds nice right :o)

Anonymous said...

Erin, I am so glad that the title "sister" did not follow the words "demands of..." in the post. You do too much. Giving too much. Being too much to too many. When is it time for Erin? I know I tell you this all the time. Are you hard-headed? Girl, take care of yourself sometime so that your girls will learn from you how to take care of themselves. You are amazing. OCD, but amazing. Love you. -Beth