Thursday, February 7, 2008

No Marathons for Me!


Today I went to the Orthopedic surgeon and didn't get the news I really wanted! Apparantly, my knee tilts and I am wearing it down unevenly causing the grinding noise and slight discomfort. I also have really flexible joints which hasn't made the situation any better. He said there was no miracle drug or exercise that he can give or tell me about that would reverse it, just that I can put off further injury to it and put off surgery by "babying" it! If I get to the point where I have pain in my normal everyday activities, I am back to his office. I asked what I should not be doing and he said running, squats, lunges or anything that would place heavy impact on my knee. There goes my dream of the "runners high" I have always wanted. I have been searching the web for exercises that will not further aggravate it. I do feel a little better after reading some articles. At first I was thinking that there are no exercises where you don't use your knees. I have learned to like the elliptical because it burns the calories and works my tooshie. I was thinking that I couldn't use that but according to the web the elliptical is not bad on your knees because it is fluid motion and does not place blunt impact on the knee joint as well as the recumbant bike, that doesn't place your body weight on the knee, but burns fewer calories. Treadmills with some cushioning in the step is okay if you walk. Swimming is a huge one, but if I went swimming now I would freeze my butt off...well maybe that should be an option.

I tell you, in the words of my father, "You can't win for losing!" I am so ticked! When I make the goal to get the flab off this year it frustrates me that there is a big bump in the road that is going to possibly keep me from it or slow me down considerably. I have a hard time knowing what to eat and cutting back that way. The exercise thing was the easy part for me... a no brainer, but now I actually am going to have to be careful and creative when it comes to that.

2 comments:

kh said...

Erin, I love you! You make me laugh... the swimming part... if only that really worked, I think pools everywhere would have excess body parts floating in them right now...

I am so sorry about the knee thing. If it makes you feel better I have a really bad siatic (sp) nerve in my left leg with tends to go numb and stay numb for years. I've had this since I was in grade school (one of the many unpleasant things I have inherited, why not the burden of riches or beauty???) And with each pregnancy it gets worse, so there is a chance I would have to get it amputated and have an artificial. If that were the case, we'd be a pair!

Just think of the beautiful figure you will have in heaven, and no bum knees.

Hang in there! (Could you cycle? Would that be okay for you knee?)

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

That totally stinks that you have to deal with the siatic nerve thing. When I am pregnant my arms go numb (possibly carpal tunnel???) and I can't stand it. To have to deal with it for years at a time would be torture and to have that kind of prognosis is scary.

I will definetly have to think about that body in heaven because I feel like it is so out of reach here. I was told I can't do anything for a little while to give it a break and it felt so strange yesterday since I have been in the routine exercising. I think cycling would be okay as long as it is low impact and that I don't bear all my weight on it. Maybe I need to go bike shopping.